As promised, the Dallas Stars decreased their roster size again on Friday. Shockingly to me, 22-year-old forward Matej Blumel was among those, and was sent down to the American Hockey League.
Here are all six roster moves:
- Dawson Barteaux – D – Loaned to Texas (AHL)
- Matej Blumel – RW – Loaned to Texas (AHL)
- Jordan Kawaguchi – LW – Released from PTO
- Curtis McKenzie – LW – Released from PTO
- Matt Murray – G – Released from ATO
- Adam Scheel – G – Loaned to Texas (AHL)
- Antonio Stranges – LW – Loaned to Texas (AHL)
Most of these moves make complete sense. Blumel does not. After being arguably the best player in Traverse City and at training camp, it surprises me that Dallas did not give him a longer look, especially only one day after Ty Dellandrea was ruled out for a few weeks.
The fact that he was sent down and the big three of Logan Stankoven, Wyatt Johnston, and Mavrik Bourque remains, should be a bit of an insight into the mindset of the organization. It looks like those three along with Riley Damiani, Fredrik Olofsson, Fredrik Karlstrom, and Marian Studenic will get strong looks over the next week.